Your Room


  • bhang
  • bud
  • choof
  • dope
  • ganja
  • grass
  • hash
  • hashish
  • hemp
  • home grown
  • hydro
  • kif
  • marijuana
  • mary jane
  • mull
  • oobie
  • pot
  • resin
  • skunk
  • wacky weed
  • weed
  • yarndi
  • zero
Is cannabis a problem for you?
Get Help

What is cannabis?

Cannabis is the most commonly used illegal drug in Australia. It is made from the dried flowering heads and leaves of a plant called Cannabis Sativa.

Learn more



Cannabis is usually smoked in hand-rolled cigarettes called joints or in water pipes called bongs. Sometimes it is mixed into food, such as cakes and cookies, and eaten. It looks like dried herbal material and can be green or brown in colour.

Physical effects can include

  • feel unusually well and happy
  • talk and laugh more than usual
  • have bad balance and coordination
  • feel like your senses are heightened

Effects depend on...

The effects of cannabis will depend on how much you take, how often you take it, how strong the cannabis is, how the cannabis is taken (joint, bong, food), your mood, your experience with cannabis and whether cannabis is taken with other drugs, such as alcohol, which can increase the effects of both drugs.

  • feel drowsy
  • feel hungry
  • have dry, red eyes
  • decreased sex drive
  • vomit
  • be restless
  • do or say things which you normally wouldn't

How cannabis affects your body

Tap a body part to learn more of the effects cannabis places on your body.

Psychological effects can include

  • experience change in your perception of time, sound, sight, touch and distance
  • see or hear things which are not there (hallucination)
  • feel anxious or panicky
  • depression
  • feel confused
  • feel distant or separate from reality
  • dependence (get addicted to cannabis)
  • find it hard to concentrate
  • have problems remembering things
  • decreased motivation
  • experience anxiety and paranoia
  • psychosis

General information

Is cannabis a problem for you?

See full support list

  • Whether you are having issues with alcohol or other drugs, are concerned about someone else’s alcohol or other drug use, or just have general questions about alcohol or other drugs, you can call ADIS any time of the day or week for support, information, counselling and referral to services in NSW.

    24 hour support line

    1800 250 015

    More about Alcohol Drug Information Service (ADIS) NSW
  • Your Service Hub is an online directory of alcohol and other drugs support, health and welfare services. If you need support for your own or someone else's substance use, you should use terms in Find Services like:

    • drug and alcohol family support

    • drug and alcohol Aboriginal services 

    • drug counselling

    • drug and alcohol rehabilitation

    • drug and alcohol residential treatment

    along with your suburb name to narrow the search to services near you.

    Not sure what service you need? Call the Alcohol and Drug Information Service on 1800 250 015.

    More about Your Service Hub
Your Room > A-Z of Drugs > Cannabis