The law and long-term drug problems

In the event that drugs become a problem for you, discover more about how to identify the problem and where to get help.

Drugs and the law

​Preservation of life is a law enforcement priority. Police will not be called to a drug overdose unless there is a threat of danger to ambulance officers or if the overdose becomes fatal and the person dies. Hospitals and doctors also DO NOT notify the police if you request medical attention for a suspected overdose.

NSW Police on MDMA / Ecstasy and the law:

“You are breaking the law if you possess, use, manufacture, import or sell ecstasy. In NSW, if you are found guilty of possessing or using ecstasy, you could get a fine of up to $5,000, and/or other penalties including community service work or a term in prison of up to 2 years. These penalties apply to both adults and young people aged between 10 and 18 years.”

For further information visit NSW Police | Drugs and Alcohol.

When drugs become a long-term problem

Recognising that you have a problem with alcohol and drugs can be a confronting experience but help is available. If drugs are getting in the way of you achieving your goals, studying, working or having quality relationships, or if you experience the following symptoms, it may be time to get help.

  • Often feeling sick or low in energy
  • Changes in mood, either feeling more anxious or unhappy or frequent ups and downs
  • Trouble sleeping, eating or doing normal daily tasks
  • Missing study or work or not doing things you were meant to
  • Difficulty controlling how much alcohol and drugs you use
  • Difficulty concentrating or making decisions

If you think your alcohol or drug use is becoming a problem give an Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) counsellor a call on 1800 250 015, they are available 24 hours, 7 days a week to provide confidential support and advice.

Your Room > Getting Help > The law and long-term drug problems