Withdrawal management & residential rehabilitation in NSW


NSW Health has recently added a list of withdrawal management and residential rehabilitation services to their website, which can be found at health.nsw.gov.au/aod.

This list includes all the services that are NSW Health funded, however there may be additional services that are relevant to the NSW community that are not included in this list. You can contact ADIS or search for services that are not NSW Health funded using the Your Service Hub directory.

What is withdrawal management?

Withdrawal management is the short-term medical and psychological care of a person experiencing withdrawal symptoms as a result of stopping or reducing use of their drug of dependence. Withdrawal management may also be known as detoxification or detox, and is provided in outpatient, inpatient and residential settings.

A full assessment of a person's health and service needs is undertaken to determine how best to provide withdrawal management if needed.

What is residential rehabilitation?

Residential rehabilitation is the psychological care and support for people in a residential community setting that is free from alcohol and other drug (AOD) consumption.

Residential rehabilitation programs may be medium to long-term in duration (4 weeks to 12 months) and provide a range of support services such as individual and group counselling, physical health and well-being, and education and skills training. Some residential rehabilitation services provide programs for populations with specific needs, such as young people and women with children.

A full assessment of a person's health and service needs is undertaken to determine how best to provide residential rehabilitation and if the service contacted is the best fit. Many residential rehabilitation services require people to have completed AOD withdrawal before admission to residential rehabilitation treatment.

A number of Aboriginal community controlled organisations provide residential rehabilitation and other healing services for Aboriginal people. Services like this that are funded by NSW Health are included in the list but there are also additional services that can be found at adin.com.au.

Talk to someone

Whether you are having issues with alcohol or other drugs, are concerned about someone else's alcohol or other drug use, or just have general questions about AOD, you can call ADIS any time of the day or week for support, information, counselling and referral to services in NSW on 1800 250 015.

To learn about the different types of support services and treatment, visit our Getting Help section today.

Your Room > What's New > Withdrawal management & residential rehabilitation in NSW